Saturday, February 21, 2015

Ruminations on a snowy day

After a week of being held captive in the house by a winter storm, it's time to stop procrastinating and start blogging. I've been thinking for awhile now that I should start a personal blog as a kind of journal. More efficient than writing in a book, prettier, too.

It will primarily be a place to share the art that I'm passionate about (Zentangle and pottery) plus a way to record experiences and feelings about cooking, gardening, Tai Chi, knitting, and life as an almost-70-yr-old retired fat lady.

Why Reluctant Rational? A while back, my niece posted a quiz on Facebook to determine which Keirsey Personality type you are. I so desperately wanted to be an Artisan. I've longed to be an Artisan most of my adult life, even though I was raised to value making money over making art. But alas, I'm a Rational. I'm too sensible to be spontaneous and creative and artistic. My mother's art genes went to my sister; My mother's music genes went to my brother. I was gifted with my father's tight-ass, rule-following, sensible genes.

Since I haven't tangled today, here are some shots of one of my knitted shawls, Come September:


 The completed shawl.

 I made the shawl to wear on our annual September vacation on Hilton Head Island. It's from a pattern by Boo-Knits called Ocean Breeze, knitted in Lichtfaden's Pure Silk Lace and Silk Halo, colorway "Promenade." Beads were added - Miyuki 6/0 Round, Pearl Ceylon, #6-591.


Come September draped over a chair in our condo.


Detail of the lace and beads.




1 comment:

  1. I beg to differ, but obviously you got half of our mother's artistic genes and some of her musical genes. Beautiful shawl!

    ReplyDelete