Sunday, April 5, 2015

Cooking Classes




One of our favorite restaurants on the Island, Michael Anthony’s, offers hands-on cooking classes. I try to take one or two whenever we are here. This year Executive Chef Chris Johnson is teaching two classes, and I signed up for both. Thursday was “Scaloppine! Scaloppine!”  

Chef Chris started by showing us how to trim out a top round of veal, a pork tenderloin, and a whole chicken. I love these classes not because of the recipes, but because of the techniques. And this one was really helpful, or at least will be if I can ever find a whole top round of Veal!
Executive Chef Chris Johnson with a whole pork tenderloin

A top round of veal, aka The Holy Grail
Three scaloppini - veal, pork, chicken, all pounded, ready to cook


We started with Pork Marsala. I've fixed the Chicken version before, but not pork. The best thing that came out of this for me was that you could cook the dish in about 5 minutes, once you have your mise en place done. When I fix scaloppine at home (and I do that about once a week), it takes me about 15 minutes, with hungry husband chomping at the bit the whole time.




The kitchen, donated by Thermidor. 


My Veal a la Voldestana

 

Next Wednesday is the Spring Seafood class, with Warm Shrimp salad with Canellini beans , Crab cakes with Red Onion and Caper sauce, and Pistachio-Encrusted Salmon. I’m excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment