Friday, October 16, 2015

Diva Challenge #239 - "Munchin Play"



This week the Diva's Challenge is to use Munchin.  an official Zentangle® tangle.  The stepout can be found here, and on the Diva's blog there is a Sakura video showing Molly Hollibaugh drawing the basic version on a black tile.

 I started by going to my journal, and tried drawing it various ways. I tried following the instructions for transforming tangles out lined in Helen Williams' new book, Tangle Transformation. By the way, I am delighted with this book, and recommend it without reservation!



The last variation I tried stayed with the basic construction, but instead of having evenly spaced lines originating at the apex of the triangles, I varied the width between the lines, trying to make each resulting section smaller than the one before it.




I found this more interesting than regular divisions

I settled on the last option. I tried to follow a basic rule: That each line would divide the remaining available space in half. 


Munchin divided with 4 lines into 5 sections, with Flux in the largest section

The rule worked, but I found the large sections too roomy.  I tried adding a tangle inside the largest section of the triangle. That section was created with the first line (line 1 above) that bisected the baseline of the triangle.

I was ready to do a tile.


Munchin with graduated divisions in each triangle. Triangles filled with (spiraling clockwise from upper right) Celtic Triskele, Amaze, Flux, Shattuck, ????, Extracto, Tipple, Bunzo, Drip Drop, ????, Diva Dance Foxtrot, Tripoli, Zenplosion Folds, Mooka

That was OK, but I felt like I could do more. I thought I could divide the tile diagonally into a section filled with a smaller Munchins (still graduated sections) and a single large Munchin triangle  (lower left) with each section filled with another tangle. I even sneaked in a few awkward Paradoxes. Can you spot them? 




Munchin with Mooka, Flux, Snail Tangleation, Shattuck, and Tipple.

Still not happy, not sure why....So I returned to the sketchbook and looked at the versions of Munchin that I drew with curved lines.




Munchin with simple C-curve lines (H.W. refers to Helen Williams, "A Little Lime")
Better.


Munchin with S-Curve lines (mostly)
Still Better! Time to try another tile...



Munchin Monotangle with S-Curves

I don't know if I will ever really like Munchin. I wish I had more time to play with it. I reminds me a little of Aquafleur - beautiful as an object, but challenging to work into a design with other tangles.

Still, it was a good challenge and motivated me to study and to practice a single tangle and try some possibilities. As usual, critiques are welcome!



8 comments:

  1. I love the way you have experimented with so many ways of using this pattern - that's real dedication. I think your final version with S curves is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! You really familiarized Munchin in a great way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing other people's sketchbooks as they work through patterns (and knowing I am not alone in doing so!) - thanks so much for sharing your process. I really like the version where you split each remaining section in half - creates a beautiful progression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alecia. I like the process of working with one tangle and trying different ways to draw it without losing the essence of it. Wish I would do that for every tangle, but time flies, ya know?

      Delete