Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Diva Challenge #236, or when to know you're finished

This week's Diva Challenge was to Tangle Something Unexpected. For me, it also turned into an unexpected challenge to stop tangling.

We are on vacation this week, on Hilton Head Island. We have a lot of friends here, almost all chefs and servers at fine restaurants. Some of them, like Chef Chaun Bescos, we've known for years. We've watched his progress from sous-chef at Alexander's Restaurant to Executive Chef at Redfish Hilton Head. Anyway, we have several restaurants that we try to visit a couple of times each while on the Island. Since we have our favorite server[s] at each, we have to juggle reservations so that we hit the restaurant on the nights they are working. Plus in the case of Redfish, we have to schedule for nights when both our favorite server Whitney, and Chaun are there.

So we have a calendar that I print off before leaving home where we can write in reservations - both planned and made. That's is what I chose to be my Something Unexpected.

First, I divided the areas on the calendar that we wouldn't need into Strings. Forgive the awful photography - light poor and most of the pictures taken with my Kindle...


September calendar page with reservations and strings

Then I started tangling.


'NZeppel, one of my "go-to" tangles



Kept tangling...


Opus in the center and Fife to the right
Kept tangling.


Enhanced Opus a la Eni Oken and added Lap and Crescent Moon
Kept tangling


How could I not use Mooka?

A reasonable person would have finished with a little Rick's Paradox in the remaining triangle, but I just couldn't stop adding stuff...

Rashell with auras, Msst, Zinger, Bronx Cheer, Ahh, Dragonair, Arukas. Oh, and of course Rick's Paradox

Somebody stop me before I hurt myself.

The final step, a little shading.



Whew. So, what do you think? Where should I have stopped?






15 comments:

  1. Stopped? Why should you stopped? It's perfect just as it is!
    I think you could use something like this on a menu card in a restaurant :-)
    It would be something special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun, wouldn't it? LOL...I usually have a Zentangle kit in my purse. Hmmmm....

      Delete
  2. LOL. I love the tangling even outside the calendar borders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Like I said, I don't know when to stop!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Coming from you, Lily, that's quite an honor! Thanks...

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! No stopping needed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ilse. Sometimes I think a tangle or ZIA takes over and makes me keep going even when I shouldn't!

      Delete
  5. This made me laugh out loud as it's something I often think about too, but hey, why ever stop? I love what you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess I should continuously remind myself that I am not making great Art, but just doing something that I enjoy.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely way to remember your trip forever. Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean. I keep a trip journal when I travel where I stick in a tangle or two, but I've never done anything this involved! Isn't it great that the Diva came up with this idea...

      Delete
  7. Love the pics of progression! And what a beautiful calendar page! Bronx Cheer always adds such a touch of playfulness! Love it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love BC, too. For some reason I don't use it as much as I should ("should" in the sense of getting more pleasure from using it more frequently, not "should" as in rules) ;-)

      Delete
  8. Being a reasonable person is so overrated! I love your calendar, and am so jealous of the fine dining events you have scheduled on it! Hope you are enjoying all of it!

    ReplyDelete