Saturday, September 12, 2015

Serendipity

If you follow the Zentangle method, there are no mistakes.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I say - as I pull out my forbidden eraser.

But more often than not, if I slog on without erasing mistakes, I'm happy with the results.

Yesterday I learned I found that the Zentangle principle of No Mistakes applies to other media. I was planning to do a sgrafitto design on a new ceramic piece during my weekly pottery class. I had sketched out a variation (tangleation, in Zentangle lingo) of 'NZepple.


'NZepplel Petal



'NZeppel Sketch on right

 I started by painting the stiff leather-hard plate with three coats of underglaze - three different colors, in fact. I thought if I carved carefully I could reveal some of the underlying color. Little did I know I would screw it up and end up with a new (to me) technique to play with.


Plate with three colors (in order on photo, leaf green on top) and preliminary carving

I was impatient to begin carving, and the class is only three hours long. So I didn't allow the three layers to dry completely like I normally would. In the course of carving, I accidentally smeared the surface with the heel of my carving hand. Sh**!!!!

Then I noticed that by smearing, I had revealed the yellow (middle) layer. I kept carving, thinking, "What would happen if I deliberately smeared the surface?"

So I did. I used my finger to remove one, or two layers, and was really pleased with the result. The "petals" took on new depth, and the background was much more interesting.  I think I can use this technique to add Zentangle shading to my pieces!


Closeup of design, showing shading on "petals." Original smear at lower left corner.


I could have done more, been more subtle with my finger, but the underglaze dried too quickly. Next time I'll allow for that. Anyway, here is the carved plate. Not fired yet, not glazed.


Carved and "smeared" plate before bisqueing.
I can't wait to try this out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment