Thursday, September 3, 2015

On not caring, and Diva Challenges #232 and #233

 "…do not depend on the hope of results. …you may have to face the fact that your work will be apparently worthless and even achieve no result at all, if not perhaps results opposite to what you expect. As you get used to this idea, you start more and more to concentrate not on the results, but on the value, the rightness, the truth of the work itself." – Thomas Merton


This seems like a good place to remember why I’m tangling. I tell myself that I only care about the journey, that what I produce doesn’t matter..But then I share my work with my sister, (also a tangler and an artist), and when she compliments what I’ve done, I start criticizing it. So somewhere in a dark corner of my mind, I do care about what I produce.

I don’t want to be that way.

So I’m going to start doing at least one challenge a week (contrary to what I said here) and post it.


Last week on the Diva’s websiteHolly Atwater challenged us to do one or more Zentangle meditations, or do a tile using Betweed. I love, love love the meditations, and hope Holly produces more of them. I only did #1 and #2, then went on to do a Betweed tile. 

Here are last week’s Challenge results:





Tripoli - Zentangle meditation #1 



Nipa - Zentangle Meditation #2




Betweed, with Rain, Bales tangleation, and Bilt


This weeks challenge (#233) was to use the latest official tangle, Zenith. This tangle was released at the recent Can Tangle. Stepout can be found here.


Zenith, with Tipple, Black Pearl, and Diva Dance




3 comments:

  1. Your Zenith tile is beautiful! I love how rich it looks with the black accents, and the Diva Dance really does make it seem to vibrate! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Although I suppose I should follow my own advice and not care... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your Zenith a lot. And, isn't it human to like getting a compliment? I do agree that we should leave our ego's out, but that's so hard to do. I sometimes leave tiles somewhere as a 'random act of kindness' and even then I find myself wondering if the finder liked it. There is a lot to learn for us :-)

    ReplyDelete