Saturday, March 7, 2015

Tangling the Calendar

After taking Carmen’s class last Sunday, I decided I liked the idea of doing daily Zentangles when I could. Carmen uses the Tangle-a-Day calendar from Carole Ohl. I had purchased one to use this year, but then promptly forgot I had it. The beautiful finished calendars that Carmen showed me in class were inspiring.



There are several ways to use the calendar. One thing the author suggests is to draw a continuous string across the three days on a page, then try and make the tangles flow from one day to another. I did that for March 1 - 3.

"String" drawn in pencil across the three dates.


I also decided to start with a tangle or two that we worked with in Sunday's class, so I chose Crescent Moon and Knight’s bridge, and added Sez and Pearlz to them for the first date.

Here is March 1st. Not wild about the tangle called Strircles. If you are a 60+ woman, looking at the diagonal, bottom left to upper right, might make you uneasy!



Crescent Moon, Strircles, Black Pearls, Knightbridge

I decided to continue with those two primary tangles for the next two days, maybe trying a variation or two.  



Crescent Moon, Golven, Msst, Hollibaugh, Fescu, White Pearls, Mooka, Amaze

Crescent Moon variation, Mooka, Aquafleur, Huggins, Tipple, and Knightsbridge
And here are the three tangles together:


To be honest, I'm not feeling terribly creative doing these daily Tangles. It may take a while before I'm comfortable enough with the concept and with the format. Right now, the artistic challenge is to learn how to connect the three squares on a page. I realize that's not a requirement, but I like the idea.  Anywhere the string crosses from one square to the next is a potential location for a connecting tangle. You can see the connection between March 1 and March 2 - the tangle Golven crosses the dividing line between the two days. That required a little advance planning. What I did was leave the small area right above Knightsbridge (the "checkerboard" at the lower right in the March 1 square) empty, filling it in when I did March 2.
.
Making the squares relate to each other is one of two challenges here, the second being finding the time to do the tangle of the day in addition to the "regular" tangling I like to do. So don't be surprised if there are gaps here and there.

 As usual, most, if not all of the Tangles used here can be found at Tanglepatterns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment