Monday, April 6, 2015

Hilton Head, Part 2


Day 11

So what’s the deal with Hilton Head? Beats me…
Beautiful? Yes.
View from the porch

Landscape at Villamare




Even on a cloudy day, it's gorgeous.




We spend most of our time walking, porch-sitting, shopping, and eating. And oh, boy, do we eat.




One of the two owners, Michael Cirafesi, is the former Executive Chef at Michael Anthony’s, and the author of the Michael Anthony’s cookbook, which is one of my cooking bibles.

Michael's cookbook and recipe handout from first class

 In fact, he taught the first two cooking classes I took there, several years ago. He opened his own restaurant (Ombra) two or three years ago, and it was quickly added to our favorites list.

Me and Michael


The first year we went to Ombra, we met Ned, who was to become “our” waiter. The problem is – sometime during that first year, my brain changed Ned to Ken, and I can’t seem to change it back. 
So we went to dinner there the other night, and sure enough, I asked for "Ken."

They said there was no one working there named Ken. If I had asked them to line up all the servers, I could have picked him out!

They seated us at a quiet table in the bar, and sure enough it was mere seconds before Ned came out to say hello. 

It’s very embarrassing, and has never happened before; in fact, I pride myself on my ability to remember all our servers from year to year.. Ned/Ken doesn’t seem to be insulted, but I’m sure he’s a little hurt. So I determined this year I would get his correct name into a safe spot in my brain.

First I tried adding his name to my journal, in the page where I wrote the menu from the first night we were there:



But I wasn’t sure this was enough, so I tangled his name. If this doesn’t work, I’ll just have to take him home with us.

Ned, playing with Cadent, Fife, Verdigogh, and Puf




No comments:

Post a Comment